Wednesday, March 23, 2016

How does Social Media affect my Marriage?

Recently, I have pondered how social media and spending a lot of time affects my marriage. I contemplated how it can detract and add to my marriage. I've done a lot of research this week finding the best articles to share with you, and I hope you enjoy. These tips aren't just for those who are married, engaged, or dating, but for anyone and everyone of all ages! These three tips below, I believe, can have a great impact on all of your relationship's, especially your marriage. 

1. Beware of Digital Infidelity

What is Digital Infidelity? Focus on the Family defines it, "when people use social media and other electronic communication to cross marital boundaries. This can take the form of suggestive chatting or picture messaging, or when you emotionally bond through email with someone other than your spouse." This is one of the new poisonous effects of social media on modern marriages. Many people friend an old crush, and catching-up messages turn into long chats and emotional conversations. These start out seeming so innocent, but can quickly turn into something serious. Below are a few tips that can help us keep faithful to our spouses while online.
  1. Don't even tempt yourself - don't friend or follow any past crushes or exes.
  2. Talk about your spouse - One way to ward off potentially flirtatious messaging is to talk about your spouse in the conversation. You and the person you are chatting with will be able to see how committed you are. 
  3. Allow your spouse access to your social media accounts - Yes, just like my mom did when I was in high school. By giving your spouse access, you are less likely to do something wrong. 
  4. Continue to check yourself - Ask questions like "is this an appropriate relationship?", "Would I feel comfortable if my spouse were next to me?", and "Would God approve of this?".
  5. Keep your spouse your priority - Make sure that your spouse is still your #1, and don't allow the drama of the past distract you. 
"Prophets teach that successful marriage partners are “fiercely loyal” to each other. They keep their social media use fully worthy in every way. They permit themselves no secret Internet experiences. ...They never do or say anything that approaches the appearance of impropriety, either virtually or physically." -L. Whitney Clayton

    2. Don't let yourself become distracted by your technology!

    This can hurt your marriage significantly. If your spouse feels that your technology and social media is more important than they are, it can decrease the trust in your marriage. Ryan Frederick of Fierce Marriage gives this great wisdom, "Life is short, quality time is scarce. That thing that distracts you will likely be forgotten before the week ends. The quality time you spend with your spouse will bear fruit for a lifetime." I agree with this completely. I struggle with spending too much time on my phone at times. I try to overcome this tendency by having my husband remind me of my goal to be on social media less. I have also tried setting a timer for how long I can be on my phone. By implementing these two ideas, I've improved little by little. Nurturing Marriage addresses 7 ways your phone is destroying your marriage. They mention that our phones are the first object we grab for in the morning and the last object we touch at night. Remember, marriage is between you and your spouse, not your phone. I absolutely love this video below and it's messages about living in the present and not in an online reality. If we applied these principles to our own marriages, we would grow closer together and not be influenced by our phone.



    3. Don't compare your marriage or yourself to another's 'perfect' life.

    This is an action that I personally struggle with. Many hours have been spent comparing my marriage or engagement to those I see on Instagram and Facebook. I think that this quote below is how we all should look at others on social media.


    I think it is so important to not compare our marriage to those of others. There are many times scrolling through Facebook, seeing engagement announcements, wedding pictures, and baby announcements, that I start to compare myself to others. This only brings pain and jealousy. Fierce Marriage gives a great quote, "Social media allows us to show pieces of our lives – and only the ones we choose to show, which are often just the greatest pieces and moments. This is not a bad thing; however, the trouble begins when we start perceiving these as reality and not simply as beautiful moments in time." I absolutely love this. You need to cherish the moments in your own life and not become jealous of the cherished moments of others. We need to be continually asking, "Where does my validation come from?" I have learned that when I ask myself this, I am less likely to care how many likes my Instagram post gets. 

    I've also learned that I need to beware of the reasons why I post something on one of my social media accounts. When I post a picture to document and share with family, I am less likely to care how many likes I get! We need to make sure that we are not posting because we want to show off, because it opens up the possibility for others to compare. 



    I am not saying that you should delete all of your social media platforms, but beware of the potentially negative effects it can have on your marriage. Social Media can be a great tool to connect with friends and family if we use it for the right reasons. I know that if you take this advice your relationship with your spouse can be strengthened. For more questions to keep yourself in check, go check out LDS Living's Eight Questions to Help You Consider the Impact of Social Media on Your Marriage. If you have any other tips to help keep yourself in check, be sure to comment below!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment